Short Story Editing
Yes, we edit short stories!
We can help you if:
- you’ve hit a wall with your story. You know something valuable is at its core but you can’t seem to fully awaken it–its tentacles don’t reach the surface. Conversely, all you have is surface, because you haven’t yet discovered that squishy thing at your story’s core.
- your story is strong, but your sentences are weak (or require a professional tweak).
- you’re ready to submit your story to a journal, magazine, website or other publisher, and you want to give it a professional polish.
Indicators that you would benefit from our help:
- Your story seems flat. You feel bored at times reading it. Certain passages feel like they’re just getting characters from A to B.
- You get to the end and think, so what.
- Your sentences lack variety, following the same few constructions.
- You’re frustrated with certain word choices.
We offer three levels of attention for short stories:
Option 1 – Big Picture Critique / Developmental Edit: a detailed account of what’s working and what needs work, and a concrete plan for improvement
Option 2 – Line Edit / Copy Edit: sentence surgery that not only maintains, but heightens your voice, plus a final polish.
Option 3 – Comprehensive Edit: all of the above, delivered in two stages.
FREE Sample Line Edit
Not sure if you want to hire us? For short stories, we offer a free one-page sample edit (page must be in 12 pt, and double-spaced).
Short Story Editorial Rates
|Up to 2500 wds||2500-5000 wds||5000-8000 wds|
For stories over 8,000 words, send us the story and we’ll send you a quote.
All rates are in USD. If you have more than one story for us to work on, rates are wigglier.
Back to Services.